Nada de nada

Nada = nothing.

Nada = nothing at all (literally, nothing of nothing).

That is just to explain the title that I chose for this post. The content is rather different.

In English, when someone says "thanks", you can reply "you're welcome". In Spanish, to "Gracias", you can reply "de nada". Literally, "of nothing", with the sense "what I gave you is so little as to be nothing; you don't need to thank me." Some other languages also do this: French "merci - de rien", Italian "grazie - di niente". 

These expressions are correct and polite, but there is something about them that bothers me a little. I don't like the way they diminish the value of the interaction, even though I understand that they do so in the name of politeness. So if I want to be really nice, I look for alternatives. 

In French you can say "Je vous en prie" or "Je t'en prie". This is literally "I beg you (about it)", and is similar to English "(Please) don't mention it". 

In Italian you can reply to "Grazie" with "Grazie te" or "Grazie a Lei"; here you are thanking the other person in return. I like this very much. It is very often the case that if someone thanks me there is also something I would like to thank them for. You can also reduce it to just "a te" or "a Lei".

And in Spanish? I don't know. In beginner's courses, they teach that you can reply to "Gracias" with "De nada", and that's all. I wonder whether there are alternatives that I might like better. Perhaps some of my classmates would like to ask their Spanish-speaking friends?


Comentarios

  1. "No hay de que," means "There's no need [to thank me]." O"Para sirvirle," means "At your service." "Es un placer," means "It was a pleasure." "Cuando quieras" means "Anytime." "Ni lo menciones" means "Don't mention it."

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thanks, Diana, that is really helpful. I particularly like "Es un placer, and also "Cuando quieras".

      Eliminar

Publicar un comentario